[Samba] username map script never runs

CG cgg007 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 17:19:21 GMT 2007

I'm new to Samba, but have been reading manuals, faq's, and list archives and
have been googling for a week. I can't figure out what's going on. Here's the
situation:

I want to use winbindd to unify authentication for the users who have both
domain accounts and linux accounts and who use pop3/imap on my Linux SMTP/POP
server.

Security is set to ADS, and I have PAM authentication functioning, but a
feature I was depending on isn't working. I've tried both "username map"
and "username map script" to map AD usernames to unix usernames. I was hoping
that either one of those options would provide me the glue to attach one to
the other. Winbindd doesn't use those options, though.

Here's a little "username map script" that I cooked up to check to see if it
was being called.

#!/usr/bin/perl

if ($ARGV[0] =~ /Foo Bar$/i) #checks for user "Foo Bar" with or without domain
{
  print "foobarbaz"; #prints unix username
}
open FOO, ">>/tmp/foo.log";
$date = `date`;
$date =~ s/[\r\n\f]+//g;
print FOO "$date Ping!\n";
close FOO;

/tmp/foo.log records no execution requests...

Help!

CG