[Samba] help on lib/smbldap.c:smbldap_open(1009) smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root..

James Tran james at nttmcl.com
Thu Apr 19 16:19:56 GMT 2007

Ricardo Dias Campos wrote:
> Hi, James.
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, James Tran wrote:
>

>> Did you notice this line?
>> smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root..
>>

> Yes, I did.
>

>> might have your binding ldap directives incorrect
>>

> May be you are right but this could not explain why everything functions
> OK. People can log into the server, can share files and so on.
> Nevertheless I get thousands of messages like that all the time making the
> system slow. By the way, making the system slow and a lot of log messages
> are the only 'sensible' problems, if you understand.
>
> Another thing I could not understand is why we have the option in smbldap
> of not having the test if geteuid is root. As I could recompile smbd
> taking this test out it seems to be unnecessary...
>
> Thank you again for your reply. I'll dive into the conf files
> looking for any ldap misconfigurations.
>
> Ricardo.

Yeah other thing u might wanna check is that the ACL directives in your
LDAP server are correct
i noticed this

smbd/posix_acls.c:canonicalise_acl

it's possible that you gave permissions to certain parts of your ldap directory and not others that samba needs.
i'd double check your ACLs

and if they are correct and it's possible restart your ldap server just to make sure things populated correctly.
If you have a slave it shouldn't be a problem but i dunno what kinda config u got there