[Samba] smbclient tar function : no password asked ?

Frédérique Da Luene frederique_daluene at yahoo.fr
Wed Apr 18 09:26:06 GMT 2007

Hello,

We're using samba 3.0.24 on a Linux box, to access and
backup some XP boxes. smbclient access is okay, but
there is something quite weird with the tar
subfunction

-----
$ smbclient //xpbox/Documents -U someuser -d 2 -Tc
/tmp/tarfile .
added interface ip=192.168.1.xxx bcast=192.168.1.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
-----

Smbclient does NOT ask us for a password when used
that way. We have no problem if giving the password on
the command line (someuser%password).

Did we do something wrong while
compiling/installing/configuring Samba ?

By the way, we are using Samba to backup those shares,
through the amanda backup tools. And we are running
into the "Call timed out: server did not respond after
20000 milliseconds" error. Anyone has hints about what
could cause this error ? It is triggered after a LONG
run (between 8 and 10 hours), seemingly always on the
same directory, so we will investigate all that is
needed but it will take time :-(

Sincerely
-- FdL - Faster Dan Light