[Samba] Samba sessions

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Tue Apr 17 15:10:29 GMT 2007

---- Original message ----
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:58:13 -0400
>From: "Wagg, Dave" <Dave.Wagg at financialinx.com>
>Subject: [Samba] Samba sessions
>To: "Samba user group" <samba at lists.samba.org>
>
>Hi,
>
>We have implemented a new AIX 5.3, P55A using Samba...we have about 70
>users online most of the day.  We assign a particular Samba share to
>everyone when they login so it shows up in their Windows Explorer.  Is
>it standard that we see so many "smbd" processes running when I do a "ps
>-ef"?  Here is a portion of the output below.  We have been experiencing
>lag at times during the day, we are trying to look all options, like
>network issues, circuits, routers etc.  I was wondering if this was the
>norm for Samba.  Sorry for the email being so big.:
>
>    root  626706  114874   0 08:27:10      -  0:00
>/opt/freeware/sbin/smbd -D

/opt/freeware? This sounds like Linux Application pack code. There is also no version listed. Have you tried the AIX binaries?

Use the following links:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/AIX/README
http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/AIX/opt-samba-base.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.hvcc.edu/pub/pware/aix52/pware.samba-3.0.24.3.0.24.0.bff

(The last link is the repaired non-PAM binary).

Follow the directions in the README and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Bill