[Samba] smbldap-useradd not creating machine accounts in correct fashion

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Fri Apr 13 22:48:44 GMT 2007

Ben Tisdall escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I have OpenLDAP working here generally without problems for a variety of
> applications including the management of Samba. Functioning user
> accounts can be created via 'smbldap-useradd' with the proper samba
> attributes being added in LDAP, however...
>
> Something odd is happening when I (or samba) tries to create a machine
> account with 'smbldap-useradd -w test1$' - an entry is created that
> looks like this:
>

> dn: uid=test1$,ou=computers,dc=redcircle
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: person
> objectClass: organizationalPerson
> objectClass: inetOrgPerson
> objectClass: posixAccount
> cn: test1$
> sn: test1$
> uid: test1$
> uidNumber: 1041
> gidNumber: 515
> homeDirectory: /dev/null
> loginShell: /bin/false
> gecos: Computer
>
> Needless to the computer is not able to join the domain...
>
> Whereas a working entry migrated from tdbsam looks like this:
>
> dn: uid=sonny$,ou=computers,dc=redcircle
> uid: sonny$
> sambaSID: S-1-5-21-1595696850-3378076689-3030227139-3008
> sambaPrimaryGroupSID: S-1-5-21-1595696850-3378076689-3030227139-1201
> objectClass: sambaSamAccount
> objectClass: account
> displayName: SONNY$
> sambaPwdMustChange: 2147483647
> sambaAcctFlags: [W          ]
> sambaPwdCanChange: 1175234556
> sambaPwdLastSet: 1175234556
>
> Feel as what's happening is so wrong that it must be some silliness on
> my part but for the life of me can't figure out what & any help would be
> much appreciated. BTW this is occurring with version 0.9.2a of the tools
> downloaded from SF & also the .deb for my Ubuntu server.

Your script appears to be working right, "smbldap-useradd -w
machinename$" should only create an account with posix attributes, the
sambaSAMAccount class and attributes will be added by samba when the
client is joined into the domain.

You can see that in the IDEALX smbldap-tools user manual.

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto