[Samba] Performance Problems in smbmount but not in smbclient

Rob Caskey rcaskey at uga.edu
Fri Apr 13 19:57:37 GMT 2007

I have an OS X 10.4 Server machine that has abysmal performance when
copying files to it over smbmount from a linux machine or through Finder
on OS X but performs very well when copying files through smbclient from
the same Linux and OS X machines. I have already tried the commonly
suggested adjustment of net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0 and have not noticed
a significant performance improvement. Through smbmount I am seeing
about 2-3 megs up and 8 megs down, when I am in the upper 20s or lower
30s/sec with smbclient.

What could account for this performance discrepancy? Any ideas (even
far-fetched ones) would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Rob J. Caskey

smb: \Documents\> put big2.bin
putting file big2.bin as \Documents\big2.bin (28113.6 kb/s) (average
26200.3 kb/s)
smb: \Documents\> exit
root at rcaskey-desktop:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/smb/bigfile.bin bs=1024
count=100000
100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
102400000 bytes (102 MB) copied, 30.565 seconds, 3.4 MB/s