[Samba] Any pointers for multiple subnets?

Mark Adams mark at campbell-lange.net
Thu Apr 12 09:15:42 GMT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 11:58:48AM +0530, Nandan Bhat wrote:
> Hi Mark,

Hi Nandan,

> Thanks for the link; I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.
>
> As for my LANs, my situation is this:
> * my linux machines are on both LANs
> * both linux machines are part of the 192.168.1.0/24 workgroup and
> appear under the workgroup when viewed from Windows clients in
> 192.168.1.0/24
> ** under 192.168.1.0/24, all windows clients are able to browse the two
> linux boxes and machines under 192.168.1.0/24 but not machines under
> 192.168.0.0/24
> * both linux machines appear under a workgroup when viewed from Windows
> clients in 192.168.0.0/24 (and are browseable).
> ** under 192.168.0.0/24, all windows clients are able to browse the two
> linux boxes and machines under 192.168.0.0/24 but not machines under
> 192.168.1.0/24

It sounds like Samba is working as desired. To have netbios work for the
windows machines across the subnets I believe you will have to have the
WINS server as detailed in that old (2005) link I posted. I have never
set this up personally so can not help you on that any further.

Personally, I would instead use DNS. do you have a DNS server on one of
the linux boxes (such as dnsmasq?) if you set up dns and DHCP from the
linux box, then your windows clients will most likely browse across fine
as long as they are getting their dhcp lease from this box (make sure
you turn off any adsl/firewall/router dhcp setup).

Regards,
Mark