[Samba] Re: Using Special Characters

sambalist.20.jisme at spamgourmet.com sambalist.20.jisme at spamgourmet.com
Thu Apr 12 07:45:42 GMT 2007

sambalist.20.jisme at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> Volker Lendecke wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 01:42:55AM -0700,
>> sambalist.20.jisme at spamgourmet.com wrote:
>>> I know these characters are not allowed in Windows file systems but I
>>> don't think that means SMB file names should be restricted (or at
>>> least not for linux clients).
>>> Anyways I'm mostly just using this Linux to Linux so if their isn't
>>> any way to do this, I guess I could just use NFS instead.
>>
>> With latest Samba and latest CIFS you should be able to use
>> the posix extensions that Jeremy has put in lately. So you
>> have a chance here.
>>
>> Volker
>>

> If I do need a new version of samba then I've have to wait for a Gentoo
> ebuild for it.
> Right now I have samba 3.0.24 and kernel 2.6.18.
> Justin

So far I haven't been able to upgrade samba as the latest version still
isn't in portage.
I did end up restarting the server and client computers though and now I
can access files with special characters in them with the Linux CIFS client.
So I guess this is supported in the CIFS client but it only works part
of the time.
Justin