[Samba] Roaming Desktops with Linux Clients

Dave Ewart davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 10:10:32 GMT 2007

On Tuesday, 10.04.2007 at 22:03 +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 06:55, Jimmy Perkins wrote:
> > I have Samba setup on a Debian server and have implemented roaming desktops
> > for the windows clients.  In this network, there
> > are also LINUX clients that i would like to use roaming desktops and the
> > users be able to access their home directory on the server
> > when they login to one of these linux clients.
> >
> > Is this possible using Samba?  And can anyone point me to a
> > website/tutorial or any information regarding this?  I have searched a lot
> > and have not found much related to my problem.
>
> You could try pam_mount - http://pam-mount.sourceforge.net/
>
> That combined with pam_winbind and nss_winbind should get you what you want.

Seconded.

We use direct LDAP authentication for the Linux workstations (Windows
PCs use LDAP via Samba) and pam_mount - works very nicely.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart
davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Computing Manager, Cancer Epidemiology Unit
Cancer Research UK / Oxford University
PGP: CC70 1883 BD92 E665 B840 118B 6E94 2CFD 694D E370
Get key from http://www.ceu.ox.ac.uk/~davee/davee-ceu-ox-ac-uk.asc
N 51.7518, W 1.2016