[Samba] Roaming Desktops with Linux Clients

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Tue Apr 10 21:46:10 GMT 2007

It occurs to me that you would need two things. One is to have Samba do
the authentication for the Linux clients. Samba.org has a howto on this
topic. The other is to mount /home as a share from the server during bootup.

With Samba authentication and /home on a remote volume, you would have
difficulty if you don't have a network connection. You may want to try
using rsync instead - running as a daemon - to keep selected local home
directories synched with the server.