[Samba] I have to delete samba cache everynight

Aaron Souza aaronmsouza at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:20:02 GMT 2007

All,

I work for a school and we have laptop carts. However, for over a month, I
had this travelling laptop problem where somewhere between 5-15% of my
laptops could not see the domain controller (domain not available error). I
called it the travelling problem, because randomly throughout the day,
different laptops could not connect. Some would start out not working, and
by the end of the day, they would.

 After trying to reformat, connect with a wired connection, and basically
everything else I could think of on the Windows XP side of things- I decided
to delete the samba cache. This solved the issue. However, two days later
the issue came back. So I deleted samba cache again and it went away. I now
do a nightly cronjob of deleting samba cache.

My question is: What am I actually fixing and is there a patch for this?

I am running Samba: samba-3.0.14a-2 on Fedora Core 4 and at my other school:
samba-3.0.10-1.4E.11 on Cent OS 4.4.

In case you were wondering, here is my vacuum samba script:
#!/bin/bash
/etc/init.d/smb stop
sleep 15
cd /var/cache/samba
rm -fr *
/etc/init.d/smb start
sleep 15
net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=root

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.