[Samba] net rpc vampire umlauts (äöüß) problem

Filipe napalmd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:42:25 GMT 2007

Stefan Drees wrote:
> Hi,
> im using net rpc vampire to migrate users/ groups from nt4 to samba3
> with ldap backend.
> But the umlauts (äöüß) in the displayname are malformend.
> Unix charset in smb.conf is set to ISO8859-1.
>
> Any hint how to correct this?
>
> Regards
> S.Drees

hi.
in my debian sarge I followed this tutorial for portuguese...
http://www.vivaolinux.com.br/dicas/verDica.php?codigo=4548
He says to put locales in iso8859-1 then to compile the kernel with some
options for that, but I have not did that and it worked by adding this
to smb.conf:

dos charset = cp850
unix charset = iso8859-1
display charset = LOCALE

now you should change for your locale I don't know if it is the same in
german..