[Samba] Vista, share level, UNC

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Apr 6 22:46:09 GMT 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 10:52:05PM +0200, Giulio wrote:
> Vista32
> 3.0.25pre2 (I understand vista patches for "share level" are already in)
> security = share     (with "valid users" on share definition)
> host msdfs = no
>
> user/pass in smbpasswd file.
>

> If I use "connect network drive..." method with "connect as another user",
> then it will always work.
>
> If I use start, search , \\server\share and then type user/pass in the
> dialog box, then it will _almost_ never work; it worked randomly just twice
> in my numerous tests. (for every test I log-off,log-on).
>
> So, is this supposed to work or the supported method is "connect network
> drive only"?
>
> Thanks
>
>   ntlm_password_check: NTLMv2 password check failed
>   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [myuser] -> [myuser] FAILED
> with
>  error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
>   ntlm_password_check: LM password, NT MD4 password in LM field and LMv2
> failed
> for user myuser
>   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [myuser] -> [myuser] FAILED
> with
>  error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
>   ntlm_password_check: NTLMv2 password check failed
>   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [myuser] -> [myuser] FAILED
> with
>  error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
>   ntlm_password_check: LM password, NT MD4 password in LM field and LMv2
> failed
> for user myuser
>   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [myuser] -> [myuser] FAILED
> with
>  error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
>   ntlm_password_check: NTLMv2 password check failed
>   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [myuser] -> [myuser] FAILED
> with
>  error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
>   ntlm_password_check: LM password, NT MD4 password in LM field and LMv2
> failed
> for user myuser

I took a look at this. It looks to me like the Vista client has
horrible bugs w.r.t. connecting to a server in share level security.

For example - it seems to cache the user you connected as, and even
when it brings up the dialog box and type in another user it never
sends that username in a subsequent sessionsetupX call.

My guess is that Microsoft simply didn't test this code too much
in Vista, as none of their servers use share level security with
NTLMv2.

Jeremy.