[Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Brandon Blackmoor bblackmoor at blackgate.net
Fri Apr 6 18:46:38 GMT 2007

Quoting "Joshua M. Miller" <joshua at itsecureadmin.com>:

> I would encourage you to simplify things even more
> at this point until you get the situation resolved.

Okay, now I am truly baffled.

I have replaced the current smb.conf as follows:

[global]
        workgroup = MORTSHIRE
        security = SHARE
        netbios name = annwn
        restrict anonymous = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        guest ok = yes

[media]
        path = /media
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes

[mediatest]
        path = /mediatest
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes

I have deleted the previously created samba users, and created a new samba user
"smbguest" with a blank password. There is also a "smbguest" unix user which
belongs to the "media" group.

I have moved my old /var/media directory to /mediatest (moving it out of /var to
the root directory), and I have created a new, empty directory called /media
(also in the root directory), and I have chown'd both directories to be owned
by root:media, and chmod'd them both 775 recursively:

drwxrwxr-x   2 root     media  4096 Apr  6 13:31 media
drwxrwxr-x   5 root     media  4096 Oct  1  2006 mediatest

I then copied all of the files from /mediatest (the old directory) to /media
(the new directory).

Both directories have the exact same unix owners and permissions (recursively).
Both directories have the exact same samba permissions.
Both directories have the exact same contents.
As far as I can tell, the only difference between these two directories is the
date each was created.
And yet...

[root at annwn mediatest]# smbclient //annwn/media
Password:
Domain=[MORTSHIRE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
smb: \> dir
  .                                   D        0  Fri Apr  6 13:58:07 2007
  ..                                  D        0  Fri Apr  6 13:31:18 2007
  MP3                                 D        0  Fri Apr  6 14:32:50 2007
  images                              D        0  Fri Apr  6 13:37:58 2007
  video                               D        0  Fri Apr  6 13:53:32 2007

                57237 blocks of size 4194304. 4170 blocks available

[root at annwn mediatest]# smbclient //annwn/mediatest
Password:
Domain=[MORTSHIRE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
smb: \> dir
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \*

                57237 blocks of size 4194304. 4170 blocks available

What the hell? What am I missing here?

--
Brandon Blackmoor
bblackmoor at blackgate.net