[Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Brandon Blackmoor bblackmoor at blackgate.net
Thu Apr 5 22:29:06 GMT 2007

I am new to Samba, but not to Linux. I hope someone here can point me in the
right direction.

I have installed Samba and it appears to be working, at least as far as I have
tested it. However, I have hit a snag in my testing. I have searched Google for
several hours but I have not found a solution.

On a Linux machine (named "annwn") running Fedora Core 6, I have set up a share,
using the least restrictive "share" type permissions (this is only for testing:
once I get things working, I will lock things down more). The directory to be
shared is /var/media:

drwxrwxr-x  5 root    media   4096 Apr  5 11:22 media

I have created a user called "smbguest", and added this user to the "media"
group. I have then set "smbguest" as the guest user, and created a "media"
share for the /var/media directory:

[global]
        workgroup = MORTSHIRE
        server string = Samba Server
        security = SHARE
        guest account = smbguest
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.0.0.1
        cups options = raw

[media]
        comment = media on annwn.mortshire
        path = /var/media
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes

testparm says that the smb.conf file is valid. Then I restarted samba. But when
I test this share by running (on annwn, as root) smbclient, the share connects,
but will not permit a "dir" command. It returns the error
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

[root at annwn samba]# smbclient //annwn/media
Password:
Domain=[MORTSHIRE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
smb: \> dir
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \*

                57237 blocks of size 4194304. 4158 blocks available

I have gone so far as to chmod both /var and /var/media to 777, and chown them
both to smbguest:smbguest, to see if that would make a difference. It didn't. I
still get NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

Here is the service definition output from testparm:

[global]
        workgroup = MORTSHIRE
        server string = Samba Server
        security = SHARE
        guest account = smbguest
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.0.0.1
        cups options = raw

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /usr/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[media]
        comment = media on annwn.mortshire
        path = /var/media
        read only = No

I have double and triple checked everything I can think of, and I am stumped.
Does anyone have a clue they'd be willing to share?

bblackmoor at blackgate.net
2007-04-05