[Samba] smbd trying to use incorrect am-utils paths

Geoff Ransom geoffr at cs.umd.edu
Wed Apr 4 22:35:30 GMT 2007

Hello
   I am running samba on a RHEL 3 system and am having problems with file
systems that are automounted by am-utils.

   [staff at hcil www]$ /usr/sbin/smbd -V
   Version 3.0.9-1.3E.12

   [staff at hcil samba]# cd /fs/icdlraid
   [staff at hcil icdlraid]# pwd
   /a/icdl/export/raid

smb.conf has an entry for this filesystem as...

   [icdlraid2]
         path = /fs/icdlraid2
         public = yes
         writable = yes
         browsable = no

And the error that shows up in the log is...

   [2007/04/04 16:51:12, 0] smbd/service.c:set_current_service(51)
     chdir (/a/icdl/export/raid2) failed
   [2007/04/04 16:51:12, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(841)
     catoctin (128.8.130.207) closed connection to service icdlraid2

/fs/icdlraid2 is one of the paths I want smbd to use and it does the initial
mount correctly. After some idle time, the automounter unmounts the filesystem
and the /a/icdl/export/raid2 path is no longer valid. smbd is trying to use
the back end path instead of the original /fs/icdlraid2 path which would make
the automounter remount the file system. When this happens, the user has to
remount their smb mounts to start using it again.

Are there any options available to affect the path used in this case?

Thanks
 						-Geoff