[Samba] Re: home shares and thunderbird profiles

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Wed Apr 4 16:09:19 GMT 2007

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Jeremy Allison wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:08:14AM -0700, Mark Nienberg wrote:
>>> We find it convenient to keep thunderbird email client profiles on our home
>>> shares rather than in our user profiles, as is the default.  From time to
>>> time some users experience the dreaded "delayed write failed" error for
>>> certain thunderbird files. The only solution seems to be to log off and log
>>> on again. (after clicking OK to accept the error about seven times).
>> This almost always means a network problem (it's a client oplock
>> break response failure).
>
> The only time I ever see this in my environment is when
> you are re-exporting NFS home directories.  Firefox has the
> same problem.

I am seeing the Firefox problem too, but the home directories are not on NFS.  It
happens less often for Firefox, but that is probably because there is less writing to
be done.  (The Firefox profiles do not include the browser cache, which is local to
each machine). I have not seen the problem on any other shares, but the home share is
the only one with Thunderbird and Firefox profiles.  So far, I have not been able to
identify a hardware culprit, but I am still keeping an eye out for one.

Thanks very much for the information.

Mark Nienberg