[Samba] Solaris 10 Samba and AD using LDAP

Jeff Wheelock jwheel at cox.net
Wed Apr 4 14:12:14 GMT 2007

Environment: Solaris 10, Samba 3.0.24 and LDAP client (native to Solaris 10).

The Solaris machine/Samba is running LDAP client, pointing at a Windows 2003 R2 LDAP server. We wish to have the Samba instance look to the Windows machine for user authentication, single sign-on.
Ideally, when a user is writing files on the Samba share, the file attributes reflect the Windows attributes and these are gathered from the Active Directory via LDAP.
LDAP/Kerberos functionality has been verified (klist, kinit, etc).

1. When compiling Samba we receive the following error: Configure: Warning: Disabling Active Directory Support (requires ldap_initialize). We are in the process of chasing this error down.
2. Most documentation has the Samba machine running as a BDC. We want the Samba/Solaris 10 machine to use LDAP for user authentication.

Will Samba use a Windows 2003 LDAP server for user authentication, providing single sign on?