[Samba] Re: WINS over subnets

Hoggins! hoggins at wheres5.com
Fri Sep 29 23:48:13 GMT 2006

Edmundo Valle Neto a écrit :
> Hoggins! escreveu:
>
>    Take a look at the chapter of the samba book about cross-subnet
> browsing, who maintains the browse list is the domain master browser,
> each subnet must have a local master browser to maintain the browse
> list for its own network segment and it will sync the list with the
> domain master browser of the network. In browse.dat only should appear
> machines that have some service to offer to the network.
Almost all the machines of my network offer services (shares), so it's
not the problem.
Since then, the server should maintain a more complete list : the
clients successfully register to it.
I must not have understood the behavior of Samba, because I believed you
just had to have one WINS server to which all the clients register, so
it would maintain a browse list of these clients. I cannot have "slave"
servers on the other subnets, that's why I planned on using one single
master server for all the subnets.
>    What is the behavior of your network? Each network only shows its own
> machines? i.e. Wireless clients only sees each others and samba only
> sees one XP machine? Wireless clients cannot see the samba server at all?
I did not check all the behaviors, but according to what I saw, the
wireless clients can see each other (thanks to broadcast), but cannot
see the XP box. I must make more checks, since I don't even know if they
can see the server. I must admit that I was more preoccupied by the
browse.dat list, and my own XP box.

> Wins not only holds the IP address but the roles that these addresses
> have in the network.
> Like: "WORKGROUP#1b" ... 1b = Domain Master Browser, and WINS clients
> access this information to know where they shoul authenticate, sync
> their browse lists, etc.
The WINS file looks fine to me, and all these infos appear, and all the
machines and their services also appear.

> Theres some options to force syncs and announces to other networks too,
> but I never needed to use them, even in that type of situation with
> cross-subnets.
Yes, maybe because you have several local master browsers that sync to
the domain master browser, so these options would be redundant. Anyway,
these syncs won't even work, since they rely on broadcast transmissions.

Thanks for the help, I'm getting desperate, though I thought it was
possible to maintain such a list with only ONE server if the routes and
the server's configuration files were correctly set.

	Hoggins!