[Samba] permissions behave differently from different programs

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 14:26:27 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I connect to a remote server using samba, and then try to modify a basic
text file. Oddly, I can only when using certain programs. The
file server is a Mac machine on which I have enabled "Windows sharing",
Mac's way of saying turn on Samba. Here are a few cases to explain the
problem:

1) I connect from my Mac laptop by going to finder and connecting to
smb://myserver/my_shared_folder. I then try to modify a text file using
TextEdit (a text editing program on Macs). When I try to save, I get an
error saying "Couldn't save document 'file.txt' in folder
'my_remote_folder'."

2) I connect as above, but modify the file using emacs. It works fine; I can
save the changes.

3) I connect to the server from a Windows machine by typing
\\myserver\my_shared_folder in Explorer. Everything seems to work fine. I
can modify the file using a standard program such as Notepad.

Thank you.