[Samba] Automatic Group Shares

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Fri Sep 29 13:38:34 GMT 2006

On 09/26/2006 12:32 AM, Murray Trainer escreveu:
> Hi All,
>
> We use an automatic home share of the form below.
>
> [homes]
>         comment = User Home Dirs
>         path = /home/%U
>         valid users = %S
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0777
>         directory mask = 0777
>         browseable = yes
>         guest ok = no
>
> Is it possible to do group shares a similar way?

	I don't think so. The [homes] is possible because we know
that we need to map a directory to only one user. The group share
would create the same share for lots of people, the problem comes
on how do you tell samba which is the name of the share?

	First idea is to use [%g] or something like that, but it
is per user, it could work, but I'm not quite sure that it will
work, because shares are read on Samba start and re-read from
time to time... so... it is a little bit difficult to tell what
the name of the share. And [homes] has special code inside Samba.

> We want to have an
> automatic group share for any secondary groups with a name
> like share_* and only allow the members of share_* access
> to it.  We want to avoid having to manually add each share
> group to smb.conf and restart the smb daemon each time we
> add a group of the form share_*.

	What about a common [groups] share, with subdirectories
with each group and some FileSystem ACLs? It could work almost
in the way you want, but it is only one share.

> Thanks
> Murray

	Kind regards,

- --