[Samba] Re: WINS over subnets

Hoggins! hoggins at wheres5.com
Fri Sep 29 10:48:38 GMT 2006

chris barry a écrit :
> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 19:00 +0200, Hoggins! wrote:
>
> does the WINS server have a route to this wireless net, or is it
> responding out the default gateway?
>
> have you tcpdumped the interfaces on anything yet?

All the routes are static, and the two hosts can ping each other without
problems. The routing works perfectly fine.
Having tcpdumped a bit what was going on, I could only figure that the
machines are correctly registering to the server, and the servers
responds that it's okay.
The real problem is that it simply does not fill the browse.dat file
with other entries than itself and the WinXP box that is on the same subnet.
With a closer look to wins.dat, I can see that all the machines are
present, and have the correct IP addresses.

So my personal conclusion is that there is a misconfiguration of samba
somewhere, that makes it generate a browse list only for it's own
subnet. I think it's weird.

Thanks for helping