[Samba] Change system/samba password via webmin

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Fri Sep 29 03:11:06 GMT 2006

Ivan Arteaga wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I need my users to change their passwords, so I defined them as webmin users
> and gived them access only to the system/change password option to do so. So
> far so good... they changed their system passwords (in order to access
> email) but the change it's not reflected in samba passwords. I defined the
> option change password in other modules in webmin but it doesn't works, I
> also have in the smb.conf "unix password sync = yes" but the same.
> I will appreciate if somebody can give me an idea about how to ride this, or
> maybe using another app? o_0
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Ivan.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Assuming that when you say
system password, you are referring to the Windows domain password, and
when you say Samba password, you are referring to the Unix/Linux
password, then one obvious place to check is password change dialog in
smb.conf. It has to match what your Unix/Linux password program is doing
(it use "expect" to get the passwd prompts and feed it the passwords).

Otherwise, check the list archives. There have been a couple other
similar problems recently that had different solutions.