[Samba] Problems with printing

Mike mikestarov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 18:26:54 GMT 2006

 > When I try to add drivers through windows gui by connecting to samba
 > server \\server and printers and faxes I got errror saying
 > that the location does not have correct drivers for the printer.

This is correct. I think you are just doing it wrong.
To add drivers you don't connect to printer.

The correct sequence is this: ( direct quote from official HOWTO )

" ... Installation of a valid printer driver is not straightforward. You
must attempt to view the printer properties for the printer to which you
want the driver assigned. Open Windows Explorer, open Network
Neighborhood, browse to the Samba host, open Samba's Printers folder,
right-click on the printer icon, and select Properties.... You are now
trying to view printer and driver properties for a queue that has this
default |NULL| driver assigned. This will result in the following error
message: “ Device settings cannot be displayed. The driver for the
specified printer is not installed, only spooler properties will be
displayed. Do you want to install the driver now?”

Do /not/ click on Yes! Instead, click on No in the error dialog. Now you
will be presented with the printer properties window. From here, the way
to assign a driver to a printer is open. You now have the choice of:

    *

      Select a driver from the pop-up list of installed drivers.
      Initially this list will be empty.

    *

      Click on New Driver to install a new printer driver (which will
      start up the APW).

Once the APW is started, the procedure is exactly the same as the one
you are familiar with in Windows (we assume here that you are familiar
with the printer driver installations procedure on Windows NT). Make
sure your connection is, in fact, set up as a user with printer admin
privileges (if in doubt, use *smbstatus* to check for this). If you wish
to install printer drivers for client operating systems other than
Windows NT x86, you will need to use the Sharing tab of the printer
properties dialog.

Assuming you have connected with an administrative (or root) account (as
named by the printer admin parameter), you will also be able to modify
other printer properties such as ACLs and default device settings using
this dialog. ... "

--
Mike Starov
mikestarov at gmail.com