[Samba] Cannot connect to a windows network

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 15:32:02 GMT 2006

Hello,

I am trying to use Samba to let me mount windows network drives on an
Ubuntu Dapper Server installation that I am using as a desktop.

Using:

testparm

my smb.conf seems to be ok.

Using

smbclient -L GM.local -U username -p

Gives me a full listing of all network drives, which again seems to be
good.  So now I try this:

sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=username \//GM.local/DC4 /mnt/win_share/

Password:
25031: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an
invalid share name)
SMB connection failed

Then i tried the same command again:

sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=username \//GM.local/DC4 /mnt/win_share/
cli_negprot: SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it.
25115: protocol negotiation failed
SMB connection failed

I seem to get different error messages for no apparent reason.  If
anyone can suggest a way for me to mount these network drives, please
help.

BTW - I can connect to the network folders using CIFS on my Mac, so I
know that I have the correct settings (although I cant find the
printers from my Mac)

Thanks in advance

Nick