[Samba] windows AD member

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Thu Sep 28 11:35:40 GMT 2006

Filipe Mota wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  I have a big problem. I have samba 3.0.23c with ldap backend
> configured. On the network, I have windows 2000, windows XP and one
> windows 2003 as member of samba domain. Samba runs well until last
> weeks when users start problems conectivity with the domain. After
> some debug, I discover nmbd stop responding. When I run comand
> smbclient to samba server, I have the following respons:
>
> session setup failed: Call timed out: server did not respond after
> 20000 milliseconds
>
> If I restart samba, this work again for some time.
>
> First, I think that was appening because I have AD as member of samba
> domain, so I put AD in a workgroup. During some days the scenario
> works but today the problem come back.
>
> What can I do to solve this?
>
> thanks,

I think the basic idea is to recognize that computer software is written
by humans and will contain errors. The source of the errors is not
always obvious. Therefore system administrators live by the rule "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it!"

The question is, what features do you need in your set up? Normally, a
Linux distribution ships with an integrated set of software that is
believed to be stable and to work together. You will get bug fixes and
security updates for that distribution. You install more recent versions
of software at your peril. On a production server, you should only do
this if you need a feature that is not working in the version shipped
with your distribution (whether it is not there or simply not working
properly).

You have installed 3.0.23c, which is very recent. Nmbd is crashing
probably because it doesn't work quite right with other software on your
system. Unless you really need something that 3.0.23c provides, I would
advise you to downgrade to the version that shipped with your distribution.

If you do need to run 3.0.23c, or if that is the version that shipped
with your distribution, try setting the log level to 10 in smb.conf and
see what results you get. Also, check the other logs to see if there
some evidence of a problem.