[Samba] initialise_wins failing - failed to open wins.tdb

Bevan Weiss bpw18 at student.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Sep 28 08:16:35 GMT 2006

Hi Guys,

Since the automatic fedora update to 23c I'm having problems with samba
crashing when a share access is attempted.  However, I also notice that
the nmbd daemon isn't being started up properly (though its startup
script, through init.d, shows it as starting up OK).

The error that is being shown in the logs is:
[2006/09/28 20:06:35, 0] nmbd/nmbd_winsserver.c:initialise_wins(580)
  initialise_wins: failed to open wins.tdb. Error was Permission denied

Now I've tried to google for wins.tdb and can't find much on it, other
than it should be located in /var/lib/samba (which it isn't).

Any ideas for where it might have gone (I haven't deleted it in anyway)?
or what the issue might be with this?

Regards,
Bevan