[Samba] valid users and lost password on windows xp

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Thu Sep 28 07:54:42 GMT 2006

On Monday 11 September 2006 15:21 Luca Ferrari's cat, walking on the keyboard,
wrote:
> Hi all,
> in my network we're using samba as a disk share for users. Each user can
> access users thru his unix login name and password, but sometimes I
> experience that Windows xp (prof.) loses the password, so it prompts the
> user again for the it. In particular, after a smbpasswd password change, I
> have one machine that, even if mounting the share as a network disk (with
> username and password specified and the checkbox to store at reboot is
> checked) each day requires the user to insert the password. In particular
> the computer always proposes a default username composed by
> \\computer_name\windows_username.
> Is there any way to fix this problem? Anyone knows where and how to
> interact with the stored network-password in a windows system?

I found that, mounting directly the shares (without connecting them to a
network disk) and checking the "store password" checkbox the system does
store the password! Thus the problem seems to be that it looses the password
only if the shares are mounted as network disks. Please note that such
computer (like others in my network that have no problems) mounts two shares,
both of them with a valid users pragma.
Any idea?
Thanks,
Luca