[Samba] WINS over subnets

Hoggins! hoggins at wheres5.com
Thu Sep 28 02:14:16 GMT 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to make browsing work over several routed subnets, but
obviously, something goes wrong. Here's the situation :

!-----------!
! hgsserver ! (SAMBA HOST)
!-----------!

      |-----------------! wifigate !------------- - - -
      | 		       !----------!      (several wireless WinXP boxes)

!--------------!
! WinXP box    !
! "hoggins"    !
!--------------!

I hope this is clear enough. Now here's my samba config on server
"hgsserver" :

[global]
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         display charset = ASCII
         ldap ssl = no
         passwd chat debug = Yes
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
         browse list = Yes
         root directory = /
         guest ok = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
         interfaces = eth0
         map to guest = Bad User
         time server = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         wins support = true
         cups options = raw
         netbios aliases = hgsserver
         server string = PARTAGES
         unix password sync = Yes
         local master = Yes
         workgroup = BOUFFARD
         os level = 32
         server signing = auto
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         max log size = 50
         pam password change = Yes

  [...] (several shares declarations)

My browse.dat does not contain all I need, it just contains my machine
("hoggins") and the server. I would like to have all the other hosts
that are on subnet 192.168.3.0/24. These hosts have received the
server's IP address as the WINS server in their DHCP transaction, and I
can see they communicate with it when doing an ethereal analysis.
But the browse list remains desperately empty from these hosts.

Any ideas on how to solve this really annoying problem ?

Thanks in advance,

	Hoggins!