[Samba] Force group gid

Lewis Shobbrook mylists at blue-matrix.org
Thu Sep 28 03:58:19 GMT 2006

Thanks for the reply Jerry,

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 1:12 am, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Lewis Shobbrook wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I note from previous posts that the uid & gid are
> > not supported in smb.conf. My issue is that I have
> > mysql auth backend for ftp sites, that I'd like to
> > share directories for internal access.  There is
> > currently no way I can see  to force the user
> > or group using uid & gid for this type of backend.
> > Can anyone offer any suggestions as a work around to this?
>
> Sorry but I don't see why this would be necessary if you
> have a working NSS.

The issue for me is that the SQL auth backend does not create user accounts
in /etc/passwd only creating numerical uid & gid assigning these to the
relevant directories it creates.  So nss can not pick them up.
The other issue that I raised was the conflicts between unix account names and
domain accounts.
Were there is a local unix account with the same name as a domain account the
force user attribute will force the domain user account of the same name.
There are workarounds, but I think the ability to force a uid & gid would be a
useful feature.

Cheers,

Lew