[Samba] GFS and samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 27 20:39:16 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 17:20 +0200, sandra-llistes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have two Fedora 5 Servers clustered with GFS. We installed samba
> and exported the same shares in both of them.
> All went fine at first, with people accessing to theirs own files and
> so, but for some programs (minitab, matlab, ...) people need to access
> the same file at once. Then samba begins to fail and clients hang. In
> order to fix samba is necessary to restart the service. We've tried to
> put the shares in a filesystem without GFS and all goes well, people
> can access the same file without problems simultaneously.

This certainly looks weird.  If the files are only ever accessed from
one node, then it *should* work, but I don't know if this is something
that has been tested with GFS specifically.

Serious damage starts to happen when we have Samba accessing the same
files on both nodes, because all the state information isn't shared
between nodes.  (Proposals for a scalable solution for Samba to do this
are due on samba-technical in the next week).

If you are only using one node for Samba, it should be the same as a
local non-cluster filesystem, so perhaps raise this with the GFS
developers.

Andrew Bartlett