[Samba] Samba cannot

Jay D. Anderson Jay.Anderson at dw.deere.com
Tue Sep 26 16:00:17 GMT 2006

With Samba 3.0.23c I am unable to join the server to AD. The command and
messages return:

# ./net ads join createcomputer=OUlevel1/OUlevel2/Servers -Uadminacct
adminacct's password:

Using short domain name -- DOMAIN
Failed to set servicePrincipalNames. Please ensure that
the DNS domain of this server matches the AD domain,
Or rejoin with using Domain Admin credentials.
Disabled account for 'SAMBA' in realm 'DOMAIN.COMPANY.COM'

After this "net ads join" the server appears in the correct OU and is
indeed disabled. Enabling it doesn't help; after starting the Samba
processes, access attempts prompt for username and password and nothing
works.

The situation is the Samba server is a DNS server for a non-AD domain so
I can't have its DNS domain match the AD domain, and the only
administrative accounts I have access to are for the OU I'm attempting
to add the server to, not for the entire AD domain.

I am running 3.0.21b in production without any problems.

Is there any work around for this issue? I think bug 3906 points out
this problem, I would be happy to provide further information if it
would be helpful.

Thank you.

Jay D. Anderson                         John Deere Davenport Works
Jay at DW.Deere.com                        P.O. Box 4198
Phone: 563.388.4268 Fax: 563.388.4159   Davenport, Iowa 52808-4198