[Samba] Samba 3.0.23c-1 breaks my home network

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Tue Sep 26 15:02:54 GMT 2006

On Monday 25 September 2006 19:41, Ron wrote:
> I'm not sure how I determine my "passdb backend" statement. I don't see
> anything like this in my global values. If I just add something like
> "passdb backend = tdbsam" don't I have to have set something up to make
> that work?

Use "testparm -v" to get all of the parameters (even the ones you don't
explicitly set). Unless you were using multiple backend values (which you
most likely are not since you haven't set it) there is little reason for
someone to point you in that direction. You're probably using smbpasswd as
the backend which isn't going to break your network.

> I just posted that samba 3.0.23c-1 broke my Mac connection that was
> working with previous versions of samba, and the result of "testparm" on
> my debian box, as follows:
>
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Unknown parameter encountered: "character set"
> Ignoring unknown parameter "character set"
> Processing section "[rp]"
> Processing section "[HDB5]"
> Processing section "[Music]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

I don't see where the "character set" problem occurs, maybe you can drop those
lines (the 3 with charset in them) and just use the defaults.

> [global]
>         dos charset = 850
>         unix charset = iso-8859-15
>         display charset = iso-8859-15

>         map to guest = Bad User
>         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

Make sure you have a valid /etc/samba/smbusers file and that it contains lines
such as:
	root = administrator
	nobody = guest
Where "nobody" (or your equivalent) is a valid unix account that the guest
account gets mapped to.

>         username = root,rp
>         valid users = root, rp
>         admin users = root, rp
>         write list = root, rp

You can set those globally but I wouldn't troubleshoot with those in place.

>         hosts allow = 192.168.173.142, 192.168.123.128

Small home network probably doesn't need such overkill. At least troubleshoot
without "hosts allow".

> [rp]
>         browseable = No

Again, I suugest you troubleshoot without turnng browsing off.

Chris