[Samba] password sync unix

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Tue Sep 26 10:52:32 GMT 2006

What you haven't explained is what happens when the users try to change
their passwords from Windows? In fact, your explanation suggests you may
have things backwards.

The Unix password sync is just that. It synchronizes the Unix password
with the Windows (samba) password. When the user changes their Windows
password, it updates the Unix password in /etc/password (or shadow). The
Windows password is stored in the samba database.

Your smb.conf looks like you aren't handling Windows logins locally.
What I'd suggest doing is using the SWAT wizard to make your server a
member server in your Windows domain. That should create a new smb.conf
appropriate for that role.