[Samba] Re: Migrate nt4 domain to samba

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 04:20:45 GMT 2006

"Les Stott" <les at cyberpro.com.au> wrote in message
news:45173C3B.8040602 at cyberpro.com.au...
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for some guidance.
>
> My client currently has an NT4 domain. It controls domain logons for all
> users, although all data is stored on another windows 2000 member server
> in the domain. The logon script that runs on the nt4 domain server maps
> drives to the other windows server.
>
> Its time to upgrade the NT4 system and replace with Linux/Samba.
>
> initially my plan was to create a new domain, make samba the master
> browser of that domain and migrate users into that new domain. In order
> to do this i would do a "files and settings transfer wizard", change
> each pc to logon to the new domain, then do a "files and settings
> transfer wizard" restore, once logged on to the new domain.
>
> Ofcourse thats going to take some time, and it means a visit to each pc.
>
> Has anyone done this sort of a migration before?
>
> Is there any quick and easy steps to migrate users and profiles across?
>
> can i keep the same domain and have samba take over all the user
> profiles, domain logons etc etc?
>
> Would it be easier to just promote the windows 2000 server and make it
> the domain logon server?
>
> TIA,
>
> Les
> --

Check Samba 3 by Example for detailed instructions on how to replace a NT
server with a Samba and LDAP server.

I have done it before and works quite well.  Basically the Samba server
imports all the users, passwords and computers from the NT domain
controller.  When the process is complete, you can shut down the NT machine
and replace it with the Samba machine.

The Windows machines will not notice the difference.  There is no need to
change domains or anything else.

I would recommend learning the following:

OpenLDAP
Samba
Migration from NT

Do all of this on a test network first.  There are a lot of new things to be
learnt.