[Samba] Can't access to share disk by XP pro neighboring with samba 2.2.12

ssnoopy at club-internet.fr ssnoopy at club-internet.fr
Mon Sep 25 14:53:54 GMT 2006

Hello,

For my tests at home, I want configure a Samba server on a PC to allow
others PCs clients to access to a share disk without login/password.

>From XP home, I can access by network neighboring and by mounting a
network drive, but from XP Pro, I can only mount a network drive. The
network neighboring don't work with XP pro. Why ?

Here contents my smb.conf file used :

workgroup = TATA
netbios name = TOTO

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = Samba Server %v

// i don't need it
load printers = no

log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes
guest account = root

# Allow users to mp to guest:
map to guest = bad user
admin users = root

//becauseof pbs with modification of MS OFFICE files
null passwords = yes
create mask = 0777
directory = 0777
force create mode = 0777
force directory mode = 0777
force user = root
force group = root

security = user
encrypt passwords = yes

// becauseof multiple interfaces on PC with Samba
interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24

dns proxy = no

[USB_MS]
comment = accès libre au partage
path = /mnt/public
public = yes
writeable = yes
read only = no
browsable = yes

I notice that PCs XP pro can be member to a X domain witch is different
to the domain of samba.

I don't understant why the acces by neighboring don't work on XP pro.

Please help-me.

Thanks you in advance and best regards.

ps : sorry for my bad english.