[Samba] Samba 3.0.23c-1 breaks my home network

Ron feffer777 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 25 18:36:10 GMT 2006

Samba 3.0.23 on debian breaks my eMac connection.  I have a debian box
and an eMac. I posted to my debian distro (Kanotix) and got this info:

"Samba upstream has dropped a previously valid config option with their
latest version and made every use of it throw an error. "passdb backend"
supports only one argument anymore in /etc/samba/smb.conf.
passdb backend = tdbsam
(perhaps you were using "passdb backend = tdbsam guest" before)"

I'm assuming that something in samba 3.0.23 changed and affects how
passwords are handled. Since both my machines can ping each other and
the Mac "tries" to connect and gets an error (error -36), I'm guessing
that my password is no longer recognized (or there's some other password
database related issue.

After googling, I found that tdbsam was a "trivial database" for LANs
with few machines (that's me), but I don't know how to set it up. Is
there a debian package for that? Do I add "passdb backend = tdbsam" to
smb.conf global items? I looked for information about installing and
using tdbsam, but haven't found a tutorial yet? How can I proceed?

Over the past few weeks, I've done hours of reading, made inquiries on
Apple and debian (Kanotix) forums and still haven't resolved this. I
would really appreciate some help in understanding this and in resolving
my connection issue.

Regards,
Ron