[Samba] Authentication

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Mon Sep 25 17:38:47 GMT 2006

On 09/23/2006 02:04 PM, Michael Elbs escreveu:
> Hello,

	Hey!

>      My name is Michael and I am working on a project at school
> and need a step in the right direction.  I need to access my
> Samba server using Windows clients(XP). I have all of my Linux
> users created as well as for Samba. I have created Samba shared
> directories. Do I need to create shares with in those
> directories?

	Sorry, it is not very clear for me what is your question.
If you have /dir/a shared and you have a new directory inside of
it, you don't need to share it again. If you are asking if you
need to create entries in the smb.conf for your directories, then
the answer is "yes".

> Then after I do that what is my next step as far as being able
> to access my samba box?

	Hmmm, again, it is not quite clear what are your
intentions. Considering the first paragraph, you want to
access the Samba server from Windows clients, it will depend
on your setup, if you use simple shares, just browse to the
server, if you want to use Domain you will need a few more
steps.

> What files to I need to configure and where are the located?

	It will depend on your distribution and setup. The
most famous configuration file is smb.conf and usually you
can find it in /etc/samba/smb.conf

> If there is any help or suggestions that you could offer me
> I would be thankful :)

	My main advice right now is: read the Samba Official
HOWTO and the smb.conf manpages. It is *really* important.

http://us5.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

	Kind regards,

- --