[Samba] Timestamp issues

tic at tictric.net tic at tictric.net
Mon Sep 25 16:09:50 GMT 2006

Hi folks,

I got a fileserver with debian sarge which is being held up to date as good as
I can.

I got a machine with two harddrives. One holds kubuntu dapper and one holds
winxp. And then there's more machines but they don't matter at the moment.

On the filserver there's a share _images_ that has a force user/group _images_
constraint. Therefore when I save an image to that share owner of that file
becomes images.images. And that's fine.

When I copy images from my camera to that share from within winxp and the help
of IrfanView everything is fine. Files get saved with the correct user.group
and the original timestamp of the file on the camera.

If I attempt to save the same images from within kubuntu where I have my own
user and group settings the k-desktop enironment complains about not being
able to change permissions and the image gets saved with the correct user and
group (images.images) but with the current timestamp of the copying process
and not the original timestamp from the picture shot.

Now, what do I have to do so that I don't have to switch to winxp to save my
images to the _images share_. I just don't understand the problem.

thank you
manfred