[Samba] Re: FC5. Samba 3.0.23a Win XP Pro SP2. Cannot logon from XP tosamba on Fedora

Leonid Zeitlin lz at csltd.com.ua
Mon Sep 25 09:29:58 GMT 2006

Hi,
I had similar problems upgrading from 3.0.22 to 3.0.23a. Try rebooting your
client machines, in my case Windows clients could connect to Samba again
after a reboot. Later I returned to 3.0.22 due to various issues with
3.0.23a. Recently I did upgrade to 3.0.23c and it seems to work well. My
advise, don't use 3.0.23a (at least on Fedora), either stay with 3.0.22 or
go for 3.0.23c.

Thanks,
  Leonid

"Clive at Rational" <clive at rational-communications.com> wrote:
news:20060924222145.18908.qmail at web25009.mail.ukl.yahoo.com...
Hello,

   I have just performed a yum update on my Fedora 5 machine, which I think
included a samba update, and I cannot connect from WinXP to the shares
defined on Fedora. When I select the samba server from WIndowsXP, a dialog
box prompts for the userid and password. When userid and password are
entered the dialog box just redisplays and I am not logged on, no matter how
many time I try.

I have tried rolling back to samba 3.0.10 but there are too many
dependencies of samba on other products to do that reliably.

I include below my yum.log messages, smb.conf file and the client.log
messages

Sep 22 20:18:38 Updated: samba-common.i386 3.0.23a-1.fc5.1
Sep 22 20:18:54 Installed: samba.i386 3.0.23a-1.fc5.1
Sep 22 20:18:58 Updated: samba-client.i386 3.0.23a-1.fc5.1

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# For a step to step guide on installing, configuring and using samba,
# read the Samba-HOWTO-Collection. This may be obtained from:
#  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
#
# Many working examples of smb.conf files can be found in the
# Samba-Guide which is generated daily and can be downloaded from:
#  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    dns proxy = no
    guest account = smbuser
    load printers = yes
    cups options = raw
    server string = Samba Server
    workgroup = CRLGROUP
    os level = 20
    public = yes
    security = user
    max log size = 50

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[Winsamba]