[Samba] Migrate nt4 domain to samba

Les Stott les at cyberpro.com.au
Mon Sep 25 02:17:31 GMT 2006

Hi All,

I'm looking for some guidance.

My client currently has an NT4 domain. It controls domain logons for all
users, although all data is stored on another windows 2000 member server
in the domain. The logon script that runs on the nt4 domain server maps
drives to the other windows server.

Its time to upgrade the NT4 system and replace with Linux/Samba.

initially my plan was to create a new domain, make samba the master
browser of that domain and migrate users into that new domain. In order
to do this i would do a "files and settings transfer wizard", change
each pc to logon to the new domain, then do a "files and settings
transfer wizard" restore, once logged on to the new domain.

Ofcourse thats going to take some time, and it means a visit to each pc.

Has anyone done this sort of a migration before?

Is there any quick and easy steps to migrate users and profiles across?

can i keep the same domain and have samba take over all the user
profiles, domain logons etc etc?

Would it be easier to just promote the windows 2000 server and make it
the domain logon server?

TIA,

Les