[Samba] Linux Samba to Mac OSX: resource fork lock problems?

James Peach jorgar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 01:44:00 GMT 2006

On 22/09/06, William Yang <wyang at gcfn.net> wrote:
> I am seeking a better workaround than I currently have for the problem.
>
> Using OS X 10.3.x and 10.4.x (and possibly other versions) as workstations,
> and Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.16) with Samba 3.0.22, I have the following
> sequence of events.  The symptom is most prevalent when dealing with multi
> MB files:
>
> 1.  Resource fork (._ file) gets locked
> 2.  File associated with resource fork also gets locked.
> 3.  File gets unlocked
> 4.  Resource fork never gets unlocked.
>
> Because the resource fork never gets unlocked, this causes problems with
> migration of data off the Mac to the server and occasionally results in a
> file being deleted unexpectedly.

Can you please confirm that this behaviour is present in the most recent
10.4 update?

If it is, could you please get a network trace of this behaviour and
file a bug with Apple? I'm not too familiar with tcpdump syntax, but it
would be best to capture entire packets (-s 0) in both directions (do
you need to "in.pcap port 139" as well?).

See http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/ for how to file an Apple bug.

thanks,

James Peach | jorgar at gmail.com