[Samba] Apache problem accesing SMB Symlink - OS X 10.4.7

Michael Hogan michael at in-key.ca
Sat Sep 23 16:56:14 GMT 2006

I'm having trouble accessing shared music with Apache.

I'm running Apple OS X 10.4.7 with Apache 1.3.3.

I can connect via SMB to my Windows XP Pro box. I can browse, read,
and write without any problems using Finder.

So in WebServer/Documents I have a symbolic link to that SMB
connection called DATA.

In a web browser, if I go to:

file:///library/webserver/documents/data/songx.mp3

It plays no problem.

However, if I do:

http://localhost/data/songx.mp3

I get:

"403 Forbidden. You don't have permission to access /Data/songx.mp3 on
this server."

I thought to change permissions, I could do:

chmod -R -L 777 Data

But that has no effect.

What's going on here?? What can I do to resolve this?