[Samba] Linux Samba to Mac OSX: resource fork lock problems?

William Yang wyang at gcfn.net
Sat Sep 23 15:07:19 GMT 2006

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 10:47:49AM -0400, William Yang wrote:
>> I am seeking a better workaround than I currently have for the problem.
>>
>> Using OS X 10.3.x and 10.4.x (and possibly other versions) as workstations,
>> and Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.16) with Samba 3.0.22, I have the following
>> sequence of events.  The symptom is most prevalent when dealing with multi
>> MB files:
>>
>> 1.  Resource fork (._ file) gets locked
>> 2.  File associated with resource fork also gets locked.
>> 3.  File gets unlocked
>> 4.  Resource fork never gets unlocked.
>>
>> Because the resource fork never gets unlocked, this causes problems with
>> migration of data off the Mac to the server and occasionally results in a
>> file being deleted unexpectedly.
>
> Is this a bug in the Mac client ? Are they forgetting to unlock
> their resource forks ? A network sniff would be useful.

I think my prior message may have mentioned that the best hypothesis to
date is that it's an OS bug on Mac, having to do with the multi-threaded
nature of the gui and a race condition between it and the smb process.

I do believe it to be a bug in the Mac client, though I feel little hope in
getting my Mac-side support counterparts to pursue the issue.  I routinely
see locks that persist for hours, days, even weeks on end (until I started
restarting the samba daemon on weekends to clear them).

Would the following test be appropriate to give you what you need:

1)  sniff traffic on ports 139 between a given host and the samba server,
using 'tcpdump -s 1508 -i eth0 -w out.pcap port 139'
2)  reproduce the problem from that host to server
3)  send you the dump

I may need a few days to get that -- I'm remote from the customer's site,
and there may be some difficulty with getting it to happen.

--
William Yang
wyang at gcfn.net