[Samba] Mac can't connect to debian after upgrade to Samba 3.0.23

Ron feffer777 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 23 00:29:36 GMT 2006

After upgrading my Debian box to Samba 3.0.23, I'm no longer able to
connect to it from my Mac OS X 3.9 machine. I can still connect from the
linux box TO the mac, but not the other way around. I need to be able to
mount the linux volume on the mac. I've had to downgrade to samba 3.0.22
on linux to get it to work. My home network is a simple 2 machine setup
with a wired connection. My smb.conf file on the linux machine looks
like this:

[global]
security = share
restrict anonymous = no
domain master = no
preferred master = no

max protocol = NT
ldap ssl = No
server signing = Auto

acl compatibility = winnt
workgroup = MSHOME

[music]
case sensitive = no
guest ok = yes
msdfs proxy = no
read only = no
path = /media/hdb5/music/
force group = mshome
strict locking = no

[HDB5]
path = /media/hdb5/
guest ok = yes
read only = no
hide files = System Volume Information/
case sensitive = no
msdfs proxy = no
force group = mshome
strict locking = no

[rp]
path = /home/rp/
guest ok = yes
read only = no
case sensitive = no
msdfs proxy = no
force user = rp
strict locking = no

The mac is running OSX 3.9 . The file /private/etc/smb.conf looks like this:

;[public]
;path = /tmp
;public = yes
;only guest = yes