[Samba] about the new built-in groups

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Wed Sep 20 15:55:09 GMT 2006

On 9/20/2006 10:35 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 12:44 -0400, Eric A. Hall wrote:
>> I recently upgraded my Samba install and happily noticed that it
>> automagically created groups for BUILT-IN/Administrators and
>> BUILT-IN/Users in my LDAP user store.
>>
>> Can I use these groups like I would normally use them on other systems?
>> Can I use them as primary groups for my various users and whatnot? Can I
>> map the Administrators group to my "root" Posix group? etc?
>
> No, you cannot use them as primary groups, Windows requires that the
> primary groups is a domain group, builtin groups are not domain groups.

Yeah okay, they are local groups not network groups.

I can add (eg) the Domain Users group to the local Users group, and assign
my ACLs and whatnot to the latter, correct?

I just want to make sure that these aren't handled special by Samba. They
used to be reserved group names and I want to make sure they are
real/normal groups now (apart from the scope issue above).