[Samba] migrating smbpasswd backend to ldap backend

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Sep 20 15:24:37 GMT 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 07:01:05PM +0300, Peter Collins Wasenda enlightened us:
> Thanks alot.
> however, can't figure out what the script uses /etc/passwd for.
> elucidate please

If you are referring to the line

passwdfile="/etc/passwd"

it is a leftover that isn't needed. Instead I use the pwd module now.

> by the way, i had this "unix passwd sync" thing working until some
> point when i upgraded my server from SuSE 9.0 to SuSE 10, so some
> entries in the /etc/passwd file might not be in the
> /etc/samba/smbpasswd file. do you think the script will still work in
> my scenario ?

You can adjust things by UID with the line:

for i in userdic.keys():
    if int(userdic[i][2]) > 500 and int(userdic[i][2]) < 1000:

which may or may not help. I did that to eliminate importing all the system
accounts (and account with UID 500 since I had already moved it). I would
guess that if a user isn't in the smbpasswd file, you'll get index errors,
so that may be a modification that needs made.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics