[Samba] about the new built-in groups

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Wed Sep 20 14:35:49 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 12:44 -0400, Eric A. Hall wrote:
> I recently upgraded my Samba install and happily noticed that it
> automagically created groups for BUILT-IN/Administrators and
> BUILT-IN/Users in my LDAP user store.
>
> Can I use these groups like I would normally use them on other systems?
> Can I use them as primary groups for my various users and whatnot? Can I
> map the Administrators group to my "root" Posix group? etc?

No, you cannot use them as primary groups, Windows requires that the
primary groups is a domain group, builtin groups are not domain groups.
The Administrators group can be used if you want to give administrative
privileges locally (builtin groups do not have any effect on other
machines) without giving admin privs on other machines as it would
happen by adding a user to the Domain Admins.

Simo.