[Samba] Re: Support of Samba on RHEL4?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 10:32:00 GMT 2006

On 9/20/06, Alex de Vaal <a.vaal at nh-hotels.com> wrote:
> Hello Gianluca,
>
> The "rpm -q --changelog package" command was known to me, but the original
> Samba packages doesn't contain a changelog.

Strange if it comes from RH. Also the initial release for RH 4,
samba-3.0.10-1.4E.9.i386.rpm, contained a changelog in it...

> As for the RHEL4 Samba packages; the changes are applied by RedHat
> engineers, but if you are looking into the patches itself, they come mostly
> from samba.org
> How can otherwise statements of Jeremy Allison of samba.org be in patches of
> RedHat... ;) and the only way to find out is to dig in the patches
> themselves...
yes, but often RH engineers are also active main developers for the
corresponding opensource project and infact they have agreement so
that they can dedicate part of their time to the OS project. Probably
not for samba but this is true for many other ones.
In other situations clearly they apply official mantainers patches,
eventually dwelving in backporting them, if for some reason they don't
want/feel to upgrade the whole package itself.

Gianluca