[Samba] username map change = samba failure

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Sep 19 17:05:50 GMT 2006

Matthew Preskett wrote:
>>> Again, this all started after I changed a
>>> username mapping entry from root = DOMAIN\Administrator to root =
>>> @"DOMAIN\Domain Admins".  This is in a security = ADS setup.  wbinfo -u
>>> and -g return the correct information.
>>>

> 1. Try # getent group
> See what that returns....

It returns the correct information
> 2. Are you using winbind to map users and groups? If so, have you changed the idmap in your smb.conf?

Yes.       No - idmap backend = idmap_ad
> You might need to clear your
> /var/cache/samba/winbindd_cache.tdb

No effect
> /var/cache/samba/winbindd_idmap.tdb
> restart winbind and smb

Broke getent - retrieved local info only.  wbinfo still worked properly.
> 3. What version of Samba are you using, have you updated it?

3.0.23c debs from samba.org.  Upgraded from 3.0.22 a few hours before
the username mapping change broke it all.
> 4. Try specifying the Domain Admins group in a different way e.g
> "+DOMAIN\Domain Admins"

No effect
> I maybe barking up the wrong tree, i'm quite new to this....

Hey, at least you tried.  I'm getting precious few responses to this
self-induced disaster.
> Cheers Matt

Thanks for replying.

Dale